Monday, May 12, 2008

Cloverfield


I thought this film was GREAT!

I know some people take issue with the handheld camera shakiness...and true it can get a bit messy and distracting..But I think in trying to make you believe what is happening at that moment it works.

"Cloverfield" is your basic "MONSTER ATTACKS" movie. Only..instead of us concentrating on what the monster is, where it's from ,and what does it want.. We are treated to the anxious horror of what panic in the streets, and unknown fates can do to us and our psyche . The story is told from the perspective of what was recorded on the camcorder. You have the guy Rob...he's leaving for a new job in Japan..there's a party for him..where the job to record all the well wishes on video falls to his friend Hud. You see a small story in between...Nothing to in depth and distracting..but just enough to set what is to come when ..OUT OF NO WHERE ..ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.

What I like about this film, is that the Monster doesn't DOMINATE the screen with it's "WHOA" factor, the destruction , the desperation to reach loved ones, the unknown of what lurks in the dark, and the terror one can feel in a Post 9/11 world. I admit..I watched this film with jaw completely clenched. I'm not a New Yorker, but the images are quite comparable to the destruction of 9/11 that it can be quite scary to watch.I think not showing too much of the monster the way most of the "Godzilla" films do , is exactly what makes this film much more terrifying.

I think you should rent this right away. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: