Monday, May 5, 2008

LaYer Cake


Okay.. I have to admit.. This is one of my TOP 5 Films ever.

It can be classified as a classic British gangster and crime drama. But is so smartly written that it transcends films like "Sexy Beast" & "The Krays". It takes a classic story to a new level.

You have Daniel Craig... playing a cocaine dealer, planning on leaving his trade . He feels he's playing it smart.."Get In, Make Your Money, Don't be flashy ..Get out". Seems simple enough right? But as we know..life and of course the movies never work that way .

When his boss unloads two last tasks on the eve of his retirement. He finds himself in a territory that is new and unwanted to him. There's a stolen pile of ecstasy he needs to unload, a drug addict pampered rich girl his assigned to find..a new woman he's intrigued by , that completely turns in to a series of "Stay Ahead Of The Game" that is great to watch.

I love the gangster and crime elements in this film. But there are touches of comedy..in one scene , almost slapstick, that seems so out of place with the violence that occurs..that it is hysterical every time I see it, because it's not suppose to be funny..but it's so real at the time it's happening..It IS funny.

This movie is also the film that sealed Daniel Craig as James Bond for me. He's acting is strong throughout, as is the rest of the cast. Matthew Vaughn's direction is not to be missed. In fact, I suggest when watching to do so in widescreen format, as you will love the visual elements that set the scene and tells the story as well. I own it , and when I show it to freinds it's the only and best way to watch this film.

I truly believe this film will be considered a classic of the genre and will stand the test of time.

No comments: